1 cup white basmati rice, rinse thoroughly
1 cup split mung dhal, rinse thoroughly
6-8 cups filtered water
1 small bunch of kale, spined and chopped
1 small sweet potato, peeled and chopped
2 tbls ghee
3 tbls hulled pumpkin seeds (good source of zinc)
2 tsp curry or Korma powder (see recipe below)
2 tbls shoyu
½ cup coconut milk (can be light)
2 tbls lemon juice
1 tsp maple syrup
Fresh cilantro for garnish
Korma (curry ) powder
Place all ingredients into a spice mill, grinder. Will keep for a month
1 Tablespoon of each:
whole coriander seeds
whole cumin seeds
whole cardamom seeds
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1. Put rinsed rice, mung dhal and 6 cups water in sauce pan. Bring to boil over high heat, and then reduce to simmer for 10 min.
2. Add to the pan chopped kale and chopped sweet potato. Cover pan and cook for 20 min until water is absorbed.
3. Meanwhile, in a saute’ pan, heat ghee add pumpkin seeds cook stirring until seeds are a nice brown. Stir in curry or korma spice, cook for 30 seconds, you can smell the spices opening! Add the shoyu and stir.
4. Stir in coconut milk, lemon juice and maple syrup. Cook until soft.
5. Serve with chopped cilantro and ghee.